The Beauty of Tahiti
Monoi, in Tahitian, means “scented oil”. Monoi is a French-Tahitian cosmetic oil made of pure coconut oil and the natural fragrance of “tiare”, the Tahitian Gardenia flower (Gardenia Tahitensis) exclusive to Tahiti and its islands. This product is a refinement of an ancient Polynesian beauty secret and has been manufactured commercially in Tahiti since 1942 by Parfumerie Tiki, the brand name being Tiki Tahiti.
Monoi oil is one of the most ancient preparations of Raau Tahiti which is the use of healing plants in Tahitian medicine.
Natural Production Process:
The raw and natural production of Monoi Oil has been passed down by generations of South Pacific healers. This oil is 100% pure, natural and exceptionally organic due to naturally island-grown coconut trees and flowers without the intrusion of pesticides, chemicals and pollution. The oil’s production process is also made naturally, chemical free, cruelty-free, and vegan. The coconut oil is highly refined making it high cosmetic quality and quickly absorbed by the skin.
The traditional and true production process must contain the organic coconuts of the Cocos Nucifera variety which are grown on coral soil and harvested at a mature stage. Tiare flowers (Gardenia Taitensis), which are handpicked as buds, must be used within 24 hours of harvesting to blend deeply with the coconut oil. According to local tradition, the flower and oil soaking must last a minimum of 10 days and requires at least ten Tiare flowers per litre of refined oil.
The Monoi Oil’s rich natural fragrance is made by the steeping of tiare flower petals in pure refined organic coconut oil. This level of natural cosmetic refinement is what makes Monoi so special and unique.
How to use Monoi Oil
- Skin Moisturizer - Perfect as a daily deep body moisturizer, apply directly, massaging into the skin. You can use the oil by itself or add it to your favourite moisturizer for a lighter application.
- Facial moisturizer – Using thinly, lightly apply to the face as a moisturizer once a day.
- Cuticle oil – Massage into the cuticles and hands for added moisture.
- Pre-shampoo and with shampoo- add the oil to your scalp as a pre-shampoo treatment before washing. This helps to soften the hair, detangle, and remove built-up products, eg, hairspray, dry shampoo, mousse, gel... Add some to your shampoo too add extra moisture.
- Conditioner - add a few tablespoons to your favourite conditioner to increase shine and hydration.
- Bath oil - add some oil to your bath water to gently hydrate your skin.
- Massage oil – a perfect oil to use for home massage or for professional Spa massages
- Sunburn- Helps soothe sunburn by reducing inflammation and promoting skin healing.
- Tanning Oil - Lightly apply onto the skin where you desire to tan. Caution: Monoi Oil does not provide sun protection. Never be in the sun for too long and be careful of sun damage - Know your skin type and its response to the sun.
- Insect bites- Relieves inflammation and soothes itchiness
- Eczema and rashes - on mild cases of these skin conditions, the oil can help soothe and reduce inflammation.
- Aging – natural anti-aging coconut oil properties can help the skin to appear more supple and soft, reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Health & Beauty Benefits Of Monoi Oil
Deeply Hydrates & Protects The Skin
Monoi is a soothing and protective oil that deeply hydrates skin without stripping it of its natural oils. The people of the South Pacific have traditionally used Monoi as a full-body moisturizer to protect their skin against the damaging harsh winds, intense tropical sun and drying salt water of their environment. This oil is ideal for our South African climate with our skin being exposed to similar harsh conditions.
Coconut oil can help reduce protein loss for both damaged and undamaged hair when used in pre-wash and post-wash hair care. Monoi Oil can be used on all hair types, decide on your own quantity to use depending on your personal hair needs. As a result, using Monoi oil in your hair will not only help to restore moisture and nutrients, but will also help your hair:
- Grow stronger
- Shine brighter
- Reduce split ends
- Reduce dryness
Delays Signs Of Aging
There’s a reason that South Pacific cultures have passed on their Monoi beauty secrets from generation to generation. Monoi’s base is a special coconut oil, an incredible superfood packed with protective antioxidants like Vitamin E and ferulic acid. These ingredients neutralize the free radicals that cause fine lines and wrinkles and help delay the visible signs of aging.
Healing & Anti-Inflammatory Properties
The benefits of Monoi go well beyond a beauty boost. This multi-purpose oil has been traditionally used in Polynesian medicine to tackle a variety of ailments. The tiare blossoms have been used to improve certain types of eczema, sooth insect bites and nourish the skin. The flowers contain high levels of methyl salicylate and lauric acid, ingredients known for their calming and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 99% Monoi AO (AO stands for Appellation of Origin) – Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) oil and Gardenia Taitensis
- 1% infused flower scent/fragrance
- Natural antioxidant (Vitamin E) – Tocopherol
Shelf life: 30 months while closed and 12 months once opened
Monoi Oil is for external use only and should not be used if you have a coconut allergy.
Because of the natural properties of coconut oil, TRUE Monoi will solidify at temperatures below 20'C. This is a natural process that occurs because genuine Monoi contains no emulsifiers to keep it in a liquid state. Solidification and the flower within the bottle is one of the ways to prove that you have the REAL Monoi.
This product is available in South Africa by a local supplier and can be couriered across the country.
It is also available for collection from Roodepoort, Johannesburg or from Kloof in KwaZulu Natal.
Please send us an email to email@example.com or call 066 382 2274 if you would like to arrange collection from these points.